Re: New feature: Encrypted gnatsd passwords

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: New feature: Encrypted gnatsd passwords
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:52:24 +0200

At 14:13 17.06.2001 +0200, Milan Zamazal wrote:
AFAIK there is no standard way to do this.  However, the code already
contains a check for `$0$' as the plain text password prefix, so I'd
suggest to simply document and use it and let the default password
format be the DES-encrypted.

I agree. It should be easy to write a shell or Perl script which converts old password files. The administrator could then select whether to keep plaintext passwords (i.e. the script would prefix all existing passwords with $0$) or DES-encrypt the passwords. I'll look into both scripting and changing the default (i.e. non-prefixed) to DES-encrypted. Should be a nice and easy little exercise in C for me.

- Yngve