Re: New feature: Encrypted gnatsd passwords

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: New feature: Encrypted gnatsd passwords
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:12:25 +0200

[I'm generally not going to add any new features before GNATS 4 is released. However some missing features can be considered being bugs which should be fixed.]

I added support for MD5 encrypted passwords in gnatsd.access, based on a patch by Tommi Virtanen. Now you can use passwords prefixed with `$1$' there, see the documentation of `crypt' in the GNU libc manual for more details about the form of such passwords. Passwords prefixed with $0$ are exact match passwords. Other passwords remain the same as before, i.e. case sensitive wild card match passwords.

Milan Zamazal

As part of updating the GNATS documentation, I have been experimenting with this feature. I got it working on Linux, after figuring out the correct format for the MD5 password string (which I have documented thoroughly in the latest version of the manual).

However, on Solaris, which lacks glibc, MD5 crypt() is not supported. Now, the configuration checks indicate that crypt() is available on Solaris, resulting in the MD5-supporting code being compiled into gnatsd but without working. The password checking routine in gnatsd.c actually ends up comparing an MD5 hash with a DES hash.

By removing a couple of ifs in gnatsd.c, I got things working on Solaris with DES-encrypted passwords in gnatsd.access. This leads me to ask the following question: Should we implement support for DES-encrypted passwords? This should be very easy, except for one thing -- we need a way to distinguish DES hashes in gnatsd.access from plaintext passwords.

The ordinary way is of course to prefix MD5 hashes with '$1$' and treat everything without this prefix as a DES hash, but in the gnatsd.access file, we have a third possibility, namely a plaintext password. Is there a standard prefix for DES hashes, or could we simply invent our own?

If we decide not to sypport DES encrypted passwords, the configure checks should be tightened so that we can inform the user if he has a crypt() without MD5 support.

Yngve Svendsen