Re: GNATS & GNATSWEB: ticket dependency

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: GNATS & GNATSWEB: ticket dependency
Date: 03 Dec 2001 22:03:51 +0100

    HG> Just to add my "me too".

    HG> I would be interested also in a dependency tracking feature for
    HG> Gnats.

Me too. :-)

    YS> Look at the on-change sections here. They provide an extremely
    YS> powerful machinery, and the only little thing that keeps us from
    YS> opening other PRs when a PR is closed is the ability to specify
    YS> changes to fields in _other_ PRs than the one that's currently
    YS> being edited. If we had that ability, we could simply make
    YS> another on-change section which triggers on State=closed and
    YS> oldpr:State=!closed and which uses the contents of a
    YS> Dependent-PRs field to set the State of dependent PRs to "open".

Cool.  However I think the dependency pattern would be typically a bit
different -- the dependencies are declared in the dependent problems
(e.g. your PR can depend on a PR which you're not allowed to modify).
So a different idea might be to introduce computed field values.  The
facility to cross-refer PRs is needed anyway.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
Free software is about freedom, not about free beer.  If you care only about
the latter, you'll end up with no freedom and no free beer.