Re: What is the pronounciation of GNATS ?

From: Jason Molenda
Subject: Re: What is the pronounciation of GNATS ?
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 00:26:25 -0700

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 06:00:41PM -0700, Mel Hatzis wrote:

> Therefore, the 'G' is generally not pronounced...it's highly likely that
> the name gnats was selected based on this definition and therefore, highly
> likely it ought to be pronounced the same way. Of course, the original
> gnats developer(s) may have thought otherwise.

Unlike the insect, the 'G' is pronounced.  For an American English
speaker, "Guh-nats" is how we'd write it phonetically.  This follows
the GNU pronounciation (taken from the Flanders & Swan, "I'm A Gnu",
song I've heard).  In romaji, you'd write it 'ganatsu'.

I'm not one of the orginal developers, but I worked with all of
them back at Cygnus.  Everyone pronounced the 'G'.

But hey, there's no need to serve under the oppression of history
- if y'all would prefer a different pronounciation, go for it.  :-)

Jason