"mkcat" may be important

From: doug . mildram
Subject: "mkcat" may be important
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:17:02 -0400 (EDT)

>>BTW, I think `mkcat' is obsolete and useless now as well.  How about to
remove them both completely?

doug> Wish I had more solid proof, lacking time to re-create my story,
       but my story is this:

   --From old habit, I always used "mkcat"
                    after adding category to categories.
   --I watched this email list and recently decided to try NOT running mkcat.

   --So, the first category I created without mkcat (gnats4.0) looked OK
           (showed up in gnatsweb Create PR...)

    --but multiple new PR's created by the requestor/owner via gnatsweb
          all showed up in "pending"  (leaving the creator wondering
               where the heck his new PR's had gone...no email sent)

Easy to fix the PR's by moving to the right category,
but I'm back to believing in "mkcat"...it sure is easy!

Thanks for listening...