Re: Proposal: Remove Quarter and Cases from default dbconfig

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: Proposal: Remove Quarter and Cases from default dbconfig
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:12:26 +0200

Hans-Albert, I hope you don't mind that I CC this to the whole help-gnats mailing list.

At 22:07 19.10.2002 +0200, Hans-Albert Schneider wrote:
I never understood the Quarter field, but it seems that some
people need it.

Evidently, Quarter was introduced by Bob Manson who did most of the early 4.0 work. It is specific to Juniper where he worked, and I have never managed to find an explanation for it.

If I remember the Cases field correctly, it lists PR that are
related to the current one, or depend on it (or vice versa).  The
idea is interesting, but the naming seems a bit ambiguous (see
previous sentence :-), few people seem to use it, and there is no
automatism based on it (like sending mails to the responsibles of
depending PRs when this PR gets to a state that allows them to
start working).

Actually, I hope we can put in a Related-PRs field at some time, with the required machinery to make it really meaningful.

So: yes, I think such a chapter is a good place for it. Be sure
to add enough explanation about what it is useful for.

I will. I am also debating with myself whether all the three fields that belong to the GNATS 3 "release-based" version (Date-Required, Quarter and Keywords) should be ripped out of the standard dbconfig and placed in an appendix of the manual.

The append-only Audit-Trail (currently in the FAQ) sound like a
good candidate for such a list, too.  I got permission from Mike
Hoolehan (who came up with the question and with th solution) to
add it to the FAQ, so adding it to the manual should also be OK.

I am working on the append-only thing right now. The three things that I have in the "dbconfig recipes" appendix right now are "Provide Gnatsweb URL in initial response", "State full name of responsible in initial response" and "Append-only Audit-Trail". I am also sifting through mailing list postings to see if there are any other ones worth including.

- Yngve