Re: Proposal: Remove Quarter and Cases from default dbconfig

From: Hans-Albert Schneider
Subject: Re: Proposal: Remove Quarter and Cases from default dbconfig
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:09:26 +0200 (CEST)

    Yngve> Hans-Albert, I hope you don't mind that I CC this to
    Yngve> the whole help-gnats mailing list.

No, I don't.  You are welcome.

    Yngve> At 22:07 19.10.2002 +0200, Hans-Albert Schneider
    Yngve> wrote:
    >> I never understood the Quarter field, but it seems that
    >> some people need it.

    Yngve> Evidently, Quarter was introduced by Bob Manson who
    Yngve> did most of the early 4.0 work. It is specific to
    Yngve> Juniper where he worked, and I have never managed to
    Yngve> find an explanation for it.

Quarter was also present in 3.1xx if some compile-time option was
set.

    >> [About the Cases field:] there is no automatism based on
    >> it (like sending mails to the responsibles of depending
    >> PRs when this PR gets to a state that allows them to start
    >> working).

    Yngve> Actually, I hope we can put in a Related-PRs field at
    Yngve> some time, with the required machinery to make it
    Yngve> really meaningful.

For the time being, I can imagine that some cron job checks this,
but having it triggered by the change itself is of course the
better way.

I could imagine that more wishes for relations like this will
come up, so some sort of plugin-mechanism may be a good idea.
(And before somebody asks: I never worked on such a thing, so I
have no idea how to implement it.)

Hans-Albert

--
Hans-Albert Schneider