Re: Restoring GNATS database

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: Restoring GNATS database
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:09:48 +0200

Andrew,

see my comments inline.

Andrew Gray wrote:

Hi Yngve and Chad,

One important outstanding issue with GNATS is the bug database.  After
the main GNU host was cracked in August last year the GNATS database
was unavailable.  I have started looking at getting it back on-line again.
Excellent news. I put a bit of work into a similar effort some months ago, but I was unable to get a useful response from the fencepost admins. They were probably swamped trying to restore other stuff at the time.

Two key problems are (1) recoving the data from the old database and
(2) identifying a machine that can host the GNATS database.

I have sent a message to the GNU sysadmins and received a response.

Regarding recovering the old database, they asked where the data was.
I guessed it would be in /usr/local/com/gnatsdb or /usr/com/gnatsdb.
Yngve, do you recall what directory the GNATS database on fencepost
was in?
I seem to remember that nothing was in default locations and I remember that the configure command line was extremeky long. I think /var/lib is a likely candidate.

Regarding running the GNATS database on fencepost, the response included:

Can GNATS run as a non-root user?  If so, reinstalling on
fencepost shouldn't be a problem.  I recall that in years past the
installation was poorly maintained / undocumented, and whenever we had
to swap out hardware or reinstall fencepost, GNATS broke.  Is there a
stable Debian package that we can keep installed on the machine, or
does the install need to constantly change?

My response included:

Yes, GNATS normally run as a specially created "gnats" user.  However,
I think that root access was required to administer that GNATS and
Gnatsweb installation.
If we get a properly maintained Debian package, as looks likely now, with Chad's efforts, that would be the way to do it. I am still pretty sure we would need root access, though.

I think there is a stable Debian package (3.999.beta1+cvs20020303-1),
but I'm not sure if we would need to run a newer version of GNATS.

Another option I am considering is using a cheap Linux virtual hosting
service for the GNATS database.  If installing and maintaining
GNATS/Gnatsweb on fencepost would involve significant work for the
fencepost admins, this approach might shift the admin burden to the
GNATS maintainer and/or contributers.

Chad, was my response to the question about the stable Debian package
correct?

The Linux virtual hosting service I was thinking of was on jvds.com.
They have a plan that is USD 12.50 per month, I would be happy to pay
this for a year if it would help get the GNATS database online again
quickly.  What do you think about using such a service for the GNATS
database?
I think we ought to push hard to get this on fencepost, because that is really where this belongs. If that proves hard, I should be able to host it on one of the Debian boxes in my own basement. It is currently hooked up to a 1600/512 ADSL connection with a fixed IP address.

- Yngve