Re: Restoring GNATS database

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: Restoring GNATS database
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:56:50 -0500

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 04:09:48PM +0200, Yngve Svendsen wrote:
> >>Yes, GNATS normally run as a specially created "gnats" user.
> >>However, I think that root access was required to administer that
> >>GNATS and Gnatsweb installation.
> >>

> If we get a properly maintained Debian package, as looks likely now,
> with Chad's efforts, that would be the way to do it. I am still pretty
> sure we would need root access, though.

There's nothing magical about root with respect to gnatsweb or gnats.
Without Mel's patches, gnatsd runs from (x)inetd, and gnatsweb runs as
the apache user (www-data on Debian).  gnatsweb-site.pl can be linked
into /usr/lib/cgi-bin from anywhere and given any permissions we need.

Additionally, fencepost admins can give us sudo access for those
components we need access to.

> I think we ought to push hard to get this on fencepost, because that
> is really where this belongs. If that proves hard, I should be able to
> host it on one of the Debian boxes in my own basement. It is currently
> hooked up to a 1600/512 ADSL connection with a fixed IP address.

Likewise.  I'm gearing up an older Ultrasparc 5 to be my 'Net server to
be colocated in a friend's basement (with a dedicated DSL connection).
Additionally, I have a friend who's hosting my current domains and
wouldn't have any problem with hosting a gnats database.  (I need to
donate a bit for his new server anyway.)

In other words, we shouldn't resort to paying some virtual hosting
services just yet.  Between Yngve, myself, and FSF there should be
plenty of network resources to leverage.

--
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie