Re: Adding extensions to gnats/gnatsweb

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: Adding extensions to gnats/gnatsweb
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:19:25 -0500

"Dieperink Alwin" <address@hidden>  wrote:
> We are an IT integrator and are using GNATS for our projects for
> more than 8 years now. We have about 100 GNATS databases running
> with a common gnatsd.user_access file.

Wow!

> A lot of administration of all these databases is done by hand by
> our IT service and we wish to make it more user-friendly by adding
> some extensions into gnats/gnatsweb so that each project responsible
> can edit himself some configuration parameters.

This is a great goal, certainly.  I'm quite interested in hearing how
you would like to accomplish these things.

> Here is a list of what we intend to have in gnatsweb:
> - manage responsibles, categories, classes, states, submitters,
>   extra fields
> - add/remove users access to a database (adding a user in the common
>   gnatsd.user_access file will still be done by the IT service)
> - change the state of many PRs in one shot These function should be
>   accessible only by priviledged users (which will be defined on
>   database level).
>
> Has someone already implemented this or parts of this?

Not to the best of my knowledge, or rather I haven't seen such a
project announced on the list in recent past.  With gnatsweb, do you
intend on editing the control files directly?

> If we are going to implement this, we would like your feedback for
> the features we want to implement so that we could bring this into a
> new version of GNATS.

Well, this is certainly the right place to discuss it.  Gnatsweb is in
much need of some lovin', so to speak.  I look forward to hearing more
from you!  Currently, I do not have commit access or administrative
access to the Gnatsweb project.  The admins of that project are found
on the Savannah page as Yngve Svendsen and Gerald Pfeifer.  We haven't
heard much from either of them in some time.

--
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>           http://www.wookimus.net/