Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 17:14:18 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

>> I think I already explained the issue, but I'll put it this way: what
>> you would do about C-c C-c on C-Mode and how that would help their
>> users?
>
> Pretty much what you suggested. Remove the binding and mention that in
> NEWS, together with the existing alternative.

You forgot to mention how removing C-c C-c would help CC-Mode users.

And, as already mentioned, comment-dwim is not an alternative to
comment-region. They do different things.

> Some users might be upset, most won't care, and some will be educated
> about the better alternative. The binding would also be freed for some
> feature in the future, like C-REPL maybe.

So we have certain downsides in exchange for hypothetical future
advantages.

Different modes have different requirements and it is natural that the
same bindings do specific things on each case.

Following your logic, as we have some modes where C-c C-c sends text to
a terminal and others where it is used to indicate that the current
edition has ended (and others where it interrupts current execution, as
in Eshell) we should decide that the binding will do one and only one
thing, and remove it from all other modes where that thing does not
exists.

At the end, we deplete the available bindings from each mode just for
the cause of coherence.

Doesn't look like an improvement to me.