Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 17:51:43 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 15.05.2019 18:14, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>
>>> Pretty much what you suggested. Remove the binding and mention that in
>>> NEWS, together with the existing alternative.
>>
>> You forgot to mention how removing C-c C-c would help CC-Mode users.
>
> They, in particular, won't become confused when they try 'C-c C-c' in
> a different major mode, and it either fails to work, or does something
> unexpected to them.

AFAIK, modes where C-c C-c does something do not support the concept of
commenting regions. elisp-mode, for instance.

>> And, as already mentioned, comment-dwim is not an alternative to
>> comment-region. They do different things.
>
> You ignore, like, half the things I write. I am out of this discussion.

I do not understand your frustration.

The heuristics of comment-dwim not always gives the desired results. If
I know that I want to comment or uncomment a region, I prefer a method
that will do precisely that instead of something that tries to guess my
intention and can end doing the opposite thing depending on the presence
of commented-out text somewhere on the region.

Unless that by "better alternative" you referred to something else.