Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELP

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 12:15:15 -0400

> I installed the gnu-elpa-keyring-update package as you suggested

Good.  This package is useless right now but will be needed by the end
of the summer when we switch to the new keys, so it's good that you
installed it.

> (albeit manually, with "M-x package-install-file", since the
> instructions listed on the project page didn't work (it seems they're
> for a different version of gpg than what I have).

The instructions are for the case where you can't install the package.
I'd be interested to know how they failed for you, so I can try and
improve the information I give there.  Can you email me the details?

> The package didn't seem to have much documentation, so I wasn't sure
> if I needed to do anything after installing it.

No, there should be nothing more to do other than installing it (and
updating it every few years).

> In any case, just running "M-x package-refresh-contents" after
> installing it showed the same problem.

Of course: the bad-signature problem is something different.
There was a bug that shows exactly this symptom, which we have fixed in
the upcoming 26.3.  Could you try the 26.2.90 pretest to confirm that it
fixes the problem for you?

        Stefan