Change terminology to better align users’ experience with modern GUIs

From: 조성빈
Subject: Change terminology to better align users’ experience with modern GUIs
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 15:46:31 +0900

Is there any intent or interest in updating the terminology of Emacs
documentation/function names to better align users’ experience with modern
GUIs?

For example, `window' and `buffer' in emacs is more meaningful when explained
as `pane' or `document'.

Especially the term `window' is a frequent source of confusion to Emacs
newcomers which confuse them to `frame'.

IMO in my ideal world, there should be no division between `window' and
`buffer', the difference should be abstracted away so that users don’t have to
know the `window' notion at all.
However that currently isn’t the case, there are multiple occurrences (and a
dedicated chapter) in the Emacs manual about `window' and `buffer'.

Changing the `window' term to `pane' or something else seems like a low-hanging
fruit for people who would like to try using Emacs; I’m interested/curious on
other people’s opinions about this.

(Sorry about my bad English skills :-()