Re: Change terminology to better align users’ experience with modern GUI

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Change terminology to better align users’ experience with modern GUIs
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 18:12:21 -0400

> Before exchanging the words, could you please reconsider, why the
> people behind emacs called the visible work area „window“ – and not the
> whole thing? For me it is stupendous logic.

Not sure what was the "logic" or even if any particular terminology here
is more "logical", but FWIW, Emacs's notion of "window" was inherited
from earlier Emacsen (ITS Emacs and Multics Emacs at least had these
kinds of "panes" and called them "windows": these were before the days
of GUIs).

GNU Emacs and the X Window System were started at around the same time,
so Emacs could have used the "new" terminology I guess, but it would
have had to be "forward looking", whereas it took it another 10 years
(i.e. until Emacs-19) before it started to break out of the "text
terminal" mold.

        Stefan