Re: saving/restoring text and overlays

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: saving/restoring text and overlays
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 02:14:55 +0200

Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:

> So it appears that enriched text mode did do what I want, but the way
> Emacs handles display properties is too permissive...

Oh - indeed!  I tested quickly, and it even seems that simple stuff that
doesn't need to evaluate "arbitrary" Lisp still works out of the box.
Images at least work for me in emacs -Q, without changing any defaults.

> This leads me to ask why the feature was nuked rather than handling it
> like file variables
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/File-Variables.html).

Doesn't using `enriched-allow-eval-in-display-props' (the option
mentioned in the text you cited but later) as file-local var work?

Michael.