Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 11:58:08 +0900

> On Jun 5, 2020, at 10:08, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
> editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>
>>> ... idiomatic translations of phrases isn't
>>> a major issue?
>>
>> No, because that is exactly what the translator is
>> here for.
>
> OK, so translators are not allowed to use tools?
>
> What about dictionaries, are you still allowed to
> use them?
>
>> What we are discussing here is how the computer is
>> helping the translator for all the other parts that
>> require efficiency.
>
> I see, for other parts, it is allowed!

I'm not sure I understand where you're drifting.

Idiomatic translations can be helped with tools, but as we see with MT, even
the best tools still fail to produce correct idiomatic translations.

Which is the reason why I wrote "that is exactly what the translator is here
for", meaning that the translator is here to ensure that the translation is
idiomatic.

The tool can help the translator to produce a string that the translator will
validate as idiomatic.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com