Re: set-default-font

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: set-default-font
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 18:59:35 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
>> Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 18:15:41 -0400
>>
>> Another problem is that the resulting font is too small, but changing
>> "258" to e.g. "358" doesn't change anything.  How can I find out an
>> appropriate specification?
>
> Try different values until you find one that works for you.  In
> general, I'd expect any value to work, unless if you use bitmapped
> fonts, where maybe only certain discrete values will work.

Hunting for proper values is not exactly very friendly.

set-default-font is the only command in the standard "Options" menu for
Emacs and, therefore, the one most likely to be used.  It seems, though,
that set-default-font has different forms depending on how Emacs is
compiled.  I suspect (but would like to know more) that it has one form
if compiled with the X libraries and another without X.  The form with X
(for me) put an X box for "Font Menu" with only 3 options (Misc,
Courier, and Fontset) which I can't figure how to use.  The form without
X seemed to put up a dialog box that allowed you to pick fonts while
seeing examples of the font which was much easier.

I'm not a fonts person, so it's difficult for me to figure out the best
way of compiling Gnu Emacs 26.3 to make the most of fonts.

Any help?
--
David Masterson