Re: set-default-font

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: set-default-font
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 09:43:27 +0300

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 19:39:38 -0700
>
> >> Maybe the original build was with GTK, and this one, with Lucid,
> >> doesn't have the nice font selection dialog?  What you describe is the
> >> Emacs's internal fallback which shows fonts known in advance to exist,
> >> with no relation to the font back-end in use.  This "not nice" menu is
> >> shown if x-select-font function is not available.
> >
> > Ah, I'll investigate that.  Sounds like I need to install another
> > library.  Thanks.
>
> Followup: from the code in xfns.c, it appears that x-select-font is only
> defined if you are using GTK and FreeType. With Lucid, you get the
> internal fallback.
>
> Maybe I'll try rebuilding with GTK.

Needless to say, the fonts are available in Emacs regardless.  It's
only the font selection dialog that may be unavailable, but font
settings via, e.g., set-frame-font, set-fontset-font, etc., work
regardless.  IOW, this is just a GUI feature, which depends on the
toolkit's abilities; it doesn't affect what fonts Emacs can use.