Re: Need to know how to goto-column

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Need to know how to goto-column
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 03:00:33 +0300

* Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [2020-12-04 02:34]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > Only presented to user in window, saved as file, or sent by email.
>
> AFAIK we don't have anything built-in that allows to print a table
> conveniently.  I can offer some code I wrote for myself the last time I
> needed something like this.
>
> What I know Emacs does have is ses, the "Simple Emacs Spreadsheet", and
> table support in Org-Mode.  But they probably help only if you also use
> the same tools to save your data.

Yes, I have tried SES and I use Org tables. Alignment of text should
not be in tables, just something like

 FIELD                    FIELD HERE AND MORE
 FIELD AND MORE           FIELD AND MORE TOO
 MORE HERE                AND HERE ALSO MORE

And I would need to inject in those fields values whichever come
first. Like if there is no value A, then B, and so on. So it is better
that I construct list programmatically and then make it display.

+--------------------+--------------------+--------------------+
|Something here      |And more here       |And here more       |
|                    |                    |                    |
+--------------------+--------------------+--------------------+
|And osmething       |This works          |well                |
|                    |                    |                    |
+--------------------+--------------------+--------------------+
|And more            |more                |more                |
|                    |                    |                    |

This type of tables also exist under Tools / Table but I did not see
there is anything nice to make it programmatically. And I need not
have the lines, it could be empty as long as programmatically possible
without writing much code myself.

I will try to use something like:
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AlignCommands#toc2

And this command:

(align BEG END &optional SEPARATE RULES EXCLUDE-RULES)

Jean