RE: [External] : Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for thir

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 18:12:17 +0000

> > FWIW, I disagree with Gregory's proposal, which is a scaled-down
> > version of my proposal, which is to reserve _ALL_ keys currently
> > not bound by default, for 3rd-parties to use.  He proposes to
> > reserve only one key for that.
>
> That's not the proposal, that's the way you look at
> the proposal.  The proposal is to free one or two keys,

You clearly said _one_ key, many times.  Glad to
hear now that it's two keys (or at least "1 or 2").

> and to reserve them for third-party libraries.  Freeing one or two
> keys is (would be) an effort from the viewpoint of Emacs,

Not if they're currently not bound by default.
Those are the keys I spoke of: keys not already
bound by default.

> which would give more freedom to both Emacs (to use the other
> keys as it wishes)

Emacs already has that freedom.  And it's using
it more and more, narrowing the set of keys not
bound by default.  It's getting pretty tight.
In the last year I've had to move a prefix key
I use _twice_ now.

> and to third-party libraries (to use these
> keys as they wish).

> Your proposal, "to reserve _ALL_ keys currently not
> bound by default", has I fear no chance whatsoever
> to be adopted.

It certainly has no chance if it's not even
proposed.  And your immediate subsequent
pull-back proposal hasn't helped.

> Emacs evolves, and deciding that it cannot bind any
> new key from now on would be an arbitrary
> constraint that would impair its evolution.

1. I proposed a _moratorium_.
2. I explicitly said that maintainers could override
   it, and that it would be good to solicit discussion
   before doing so.

Instead of designating some single prefix key as
reserved for 3rd-party use, why not just have
Emacs lay off binding keys by default for a while?

There are a bunch of keys still available, though
there's been more encroachment recently.  My ask
is just to put up a sign, "Wilderness area, no
further development now, please".  Your proposal
is to designate a tiny patch as the only area to
protect from development.