Re: Make Super key work in console

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Make Super key work in console
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 08:31:17 +0300

* Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> [2021-02-20 19:39]:

> > > Why "Yuck"?  This is in no way singular: many terminal emulators
> > > convert M-SOMETHING into ESC SOMETHING, at least as an option.
> >
> > Yuck that, too.
>
> In case further explanation is needed:
>
> * The fact that terminals encode functional keys, editing keys,
> Alt+keys as ESC sequences has made it impossible to reliably[1] detect
> a single Escape key press.
>
> * Many terminals of VT-100 descent encode keys as CSI sequences (ESC [
> …), making it impossible to reliably[1] detect a single Alt+[ key
> combination.

VT100 are almost not in existence and use, there are some sold, but
that is now very rare. Why people don't start making PC or other type
of modern computers as terminal emulators. That is what is practically
used. We emulate machines which we do not have.

Wow, progress of 21st century.

It is alright to have terminal emulators but only to access software
servers that also emulates access by such terminals.

Both the server side software and terminal emulators shall start
emulating these modern computers we have.

Maybe terminal capabilities databases already have some of emulations
that do represent modern computers.

Now in /usr/share/terminfo I can find entries like `ibmpc' or `unixpc'
do you think any of them could have the Super key entry there? I have
tried using such with Emacs in console but do not see that Super key
is working.

As maybe just changing $TERM variable could make it work, what do you
think?

> * In application keypad mode, terminals also encode arrow keys as SS3
> sequences (ESC O …), making it impossible to reliably[1] detect an
> Alt+Shift+o.
>
> [1]: yes, a 100ms timeout goes a long way, unless you’re working over
> ssh on a laggy/jerky connection.
>
> Other deficiencies of key representations in terminals include:
>
> * Ctrl+key combinations are only defined for letter keys and select
> punctuation.
> * Ctrl+Shift+keys are indistinguishable from Ctrl+keys.
> * Alt+key combinations are Caps Lock-sensitive.
> * Tab is indistinguishable from Ctrl+I, Backspace from either Ctrl+H
> or Ctrl+?, and Enter from either Ctrl+J or Ctrl+M.
> * There is much uncertainty about whether the sequence called F13
> should mean Shift+F1 or Shift+F3.

Maybe it is possible to define new terminfo file that supports all the
keys commonly found on today's keyboard.

Jean