Re: Make Super key work in console

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Make Super key work in console
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 15:40:46 +0300

* Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> [2021-02-21 10:19]:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 at 12:32, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
>
> > Now in /usr/share/terminfo I can find entries like `ibmpc' or `unixpc'
> > do you think any of them could have the Super key entry there? I have
> > tried using such with Emacs in console but do not see that Super key
> > is working.
> >
> > As maybe just changing $TERM variable could make it work, what do you
> > think?
>
> Terminfo database entries do not *define* how terminals work. They
> *describe* it so that applications can decode the character stream
> they receive.
>
> By changing your TERM variable, you tell your applications “Disregard
> what my terminal emulator says about itself (if anything); treat it as
> if it were what I say”. It’s an escape hatch, not a configuration
> facility.

I got the point.

> > Maybe it is possible to define new terminfo file that supports all the
> > keys commonly found on today's keyboard.
>
> It would be possible, but you would still need a terminal emulator
> that actually emits the sequences you put in that terminfo entry.

Yes, and that is what I cannot easily inspect, I can just assume that
some terminal types like "ibmpc" or "unixpc" could maybe have that key
defined. At least you may get idea on how I think that problem is
maybe solved at least for terminal emulators, but I cannot verify it
that it works.