Re: headings for texinfo-mode using outline-minor-mode

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: headings for texinfo-mode using outline-minor-mode
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 09:36:20 +0200

> Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 7:20 PM
> From: "Jean Louis" <bugs@gnu.support>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca
> Subject: Re: headings for texinfo-mode using outline-minor-mode
>
> * Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2021-05-13 05:50]:
> > > There are many modes, various macros, functions. Many modes do not
> > > have its outline structure. Emacs Lisp mode does not have "outline"
> > > defined, we can just virtualize it and think how to create
> > > outline. Its structure would greatly depend of the style, and comments
> > > definition, for example to start writing (defun on the beginning of
> > > the line. Each user can have different comment definition.
> >
> > Being able to have different comment definition for headings would be very
> > valuable.
> > I also like the idea that headings become different than code.  This is
> > because, you
> > could collapse code independently of headers.  Currently code structures
> > are being
> > used as headers, a strategy which is faulty from my point of view.
>
> Hmm...
>
> Maybe strategy is not best hypothetically, but practically it is
> useful to collapse code structures: I can get the easy overview or
> quick index of functions and faster do the movements. Also copy and
> paste is easier.

I absolutely agree that collapse code structures and code structure movements
improves coding practice.  Then with headings you can categorise various
sections
of the file that could also be independently manipulated.

At this point, it would first be beneficial to handle the specification of
outline-heading-alist that users could successfully adapt te their needs.

Currently I want to handle texinfo files first because there is already
outline-heading-alist being defined in "texinfo.el".  Then look at elisp.