Re: headings for texinfo-mode using outline-minor-mode

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: headings for texinfo-mode using outline-minor-mode
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 10:06:44 +0100

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

>> Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 4:28 PM
>> From: "Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor"
>> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Subject: Re: headings for texinfo-mode using outline-minor-mode
>>
>> > Being able to have different comment definition for headings would be very
>> > valuable.
>> > I also like the idea that headings become different than code.  This is
>> > because, you
>> > could collapse code independently of headers.  Currently code structures
>> > are being
>> > used as headers, a strategy which is faulty from my point of view.
>>
>> Then you don't want `outline-minor-mode`.  You might like `allout-mode`.
>
> I am saying to clean up outline-minor-mode and write clear instructions on how
> to set up user defined outline-heading-alist.  This is because
> outline-minor-mode
> has much greater use for code.

I disagree.

Outline-mode and outline-minor-mode are simple.  They're made to do
simple and predictable things.  That's the point of them.

We have Org-mode because people want something more than what
outline-mode provides by itself.  We also have things like outshine-mode
and allout-mode because people want more than what outline-mode does by
itself.  But not everybody wants more that's why outline-mode and
outline-minor-mode still exist!

It seems that you are trying to make outline-mode into outshine-mode.
There's no need to do that, we already have outshine-mode.

If you're not doing that, then I don't understand what you are doing.
That's not surprising since so many of your emails are so vague.  You
have to learn to express yourself more clearly as Yuri Khan said.

Also, to write a new mode you have to learn elisp in more depth.  This
project you're doing is a vehicle for doing that certainly.  But
remember that the existing modes I've mentioned were probably written by
people who already knew elisp.

BR,
Robert Thorpe