Re: [External] : Re: Emacs Modular Configuration: the preferable way.

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Emacs Modular Configuration: the preferable way.
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 02:31:13 +0200

>> Actually, ~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/erc/erc-iterate.el is
>> completely _platform independent_ when used in Emacs.
>> Emacs takes care of platform differences /
>> oddities automatically.
>>
>> Automatically, that is, provided code uses Elisp file-name
>> functions (or the predefined commands that use them)...
>
> But why don't put that in the functions where something can
> go wrong because they are the ones that should be
> responsible for that, using string functions on a string
> doesn't imply any danger whatsoever so if one wants to be
> safe that doesn't make it any more safe, because it is
> already safe.

Let's take a more practical approach, you mention file-name,
what I can see there are these function, some of them what
they do one can understand, assume, or guess, but I don't
understand 100% what one is supposed to do, send the path as
one fancies it to a function and get the same thing back, only
on some other system it is changed to work there? If so, what
function is that?

I still don't understand why this is done manually but it is
just a detail, I'll enclose it if that's how it is supposed to
look...

file-name-absolute-p
file-name-all-completions
file-name-as-directory