Re: How to rename files to numbers in Eshell?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: How to rename files to numbers in Eshell?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 00:47:09 +0200

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> Though it would be good to have the zero padding for cases when there
> are more files than 9 to later easier sort them.

Instead of query-replace most of the time I am quite happy with
rectangle commands (C-x r k - `kill-rectangle' and C-x r N -
`rectangle-number-lines').  I kill any files lines that are in the way
with k before I enter wdired and mark a rectangle.

If you call `rectangle-number-lines' with a prefix arg you are prompted
for a starting number and a FORMAT string.  If you choose, for example,
"%03d", you get zero padding for three digits.

Michael.