Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Re: Max users

From: Gerald
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Re: Max users
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:11:26 -0400 (EDT)

That sounds like a pretty low number still for an individual radius
server. If you were so inclined you could support that with a flat text
password file even on one server. (Don't do that though! It's a pain to
maintain and no redundancy)

Ideally you should setup 1 radius server (gnu-radius will support you
fine) and one backup radius server. This is just a suggestion, but this is
2 ways you could set it up.

* If time and money are a big issue:

Radius1: runs mysql and gnu-radius. Primary radius server. Will support
your full load if it is a newer PC (Gig proc, enough HD to support DB
(dual SCSI mirrored), gig of ram (ECC))

Radius2: Duplicate backup of radius 1. Can run it's own mysql DB
(replicated) or you could point to Radius1's mysql Db.

* Option2 if you have a little bit more flexibility (read: money):

Mysql: server dedicated to DB task with replication(optional) to radius1
and radius2.

Radius1: runs gnu-radius and mysql and hardware is robust enough to
support both for a while. Db is kept current with replication from mysql
server.

Radius2: again redundancy...duplicate of Radius1.

In both situations any ras equipment should point to both. I've inherited
the system I maintain now and I'm converting the whole thing to
gnu-radius/mysql(w/replication) and our user base is right in the range
you gave. All that being said I'm curious to know how high gnu-radius has
been scaled on a single server as well, but only out of curiosity.

HTH,

Gerald

P.S. I've got up to 250,000 before at the last ISP I worked at and that
takes a lot more creative load balancing and many more radius servers
spread out. Disclaimer: that wasn't on gnu-radius though.