[Help-gnu-radius] Many RADIUS servers --> 1 database - questions

From: Andrew Kohlsmith
Subject: [Help-gnu-radius] Many RADIUS servers --> 1 database - questions
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:26:53 -0500

I am using GNU-RADIUSd with PostgreSQL. It's been working *wonderfuly* over
the past few years.

We have been steadily growing but due to a recent and some near-future
marketing campaigns our recent growth has been *very* rapid (hundreds per
week).  Naturally having this all teetering on one server, no matter how
stable it seems, is making me nervous.  :-)

What I had planned was this.

Multiple RADIUS servers (GNU-RADIUSd) -- all talking to db-master.domain.dom.
More or less one RADIUS server for every

db-master.domain.dom is PostgresSQL.
db-slave.domain.dom is identical
the main name server is a separate box.

db-slave polls db-master every 15-30 minutes or so and pulls down all of the
accounting records which have changed since then.
If db-slave cannot reach db-master, it udates the name server records and
points the name "db-master" to itself.

Since the RADIUS servers connections are all broken, I can touch the
auth.reconnect and acct.reconnect in a script and run.

When the old db-master comes back it can see that the name db-master no longer
points to it and it then assumes the role of the slave, synchronizing to the
master and flipping DNS over when it can't see the server.

Of course there will be some loose ends to tie up (what if db-slave can't see
the master but it's because db-slave's connection is down?) but what does the
list thing of this as a basic plan?  It would be nicer if postgres supported
replication (there are some projects for it right now) but the accounting
records aren't THAT critical.  authentication maintenance would be performed
on both servers (i.e. the new user records would be written to both, they are
not replicated).

Is there any upcoming features coming to GNU-RADIUSd that may help me in this
(like multiple DB server configuration)?

Regards,
Andrew