[Help-gnu-radius] multiple radius servers feeding in to one postgres db

From: Andrew Kohlsmith
Subject: [Help-gnu-radius] multiple radius servers feeding in to one postgres db
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 00:45:14 -0500

I would like to have multiple radius servers feeding in to one central
auth/acct PostgreSQL database.

I have one working and (very) active radius server, and I have the postgres db
on the same box at this time.

I set up radiusd on a second box and have it configured to access the postgres
db on the first.  I am able to connect to the databases using the native
pgsql client so I know my access controls are correct.

on the new box, using radping, radwho or radlast shows no users online.  Do
the radius query tools not contact the database?  Do they only rely on the
radutmp and radstat files?  I'd like to be able to use radping at the very
least, and it is important to be able to check whether a user is logged in
twice across multiple radius servers.  (example scenario: user in city A
gives login information to friend in city B -- without being able to check
directly into the accounting database, both could use the same login.)

Are there any plans on putting the users and rewrite configuration files in
the database?  My intention is to have several radius servers across a
geographically varied ISP such that POP A's NAS equipment uses radius A, and
if they fail use radius B, where POP B uses radius B, failing over to A.  We
currently have five POPs but are just starting to worry about failover.
GNU-RADIUSd has been VERY stable so far.  :-)

Regards,
Andrew