help-gnu-utils

How to deal with spaces within target path?

From: anachman
Subject: How to deal with spaces within target path?
Date: 28 Jul 2006 17:29:04 -0700

Hello,
     This is GNU Make 3.80 on Mac OSX. I'm running into a problem where
spaces in a target name within the makefile are causing it to be
interpreted as separate targets. Using the typical solution of putting
quotes around the path doesn't seem to work within the makefile. Does
anyone know of a way to specify that spaces should be treated as part
of the path name? Here is the offending line in the makefile:
${ObjD}%.N.cln : %.asm ${ExtraDeps}; ${GenAsmRule}

When ${ObjD} contains a space, I'll get a 'no rule to make target'
error on a partial path name. I would greatly appreciate any help on
the subject! Please let me know if I can provide more information.

Thanks,
Alicia