help-gnu-utils

Re: How to deal with spaces within target path?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: How to deal with spaces within target path?
Date: 28 Jul 2006 20:52:53 -0400

%% anachman@hotmail.com writes:

  a> This is GNU Make 3.80 on Mac OSX. I'm running into a problem where
  a> spaces in a target name within the makefile are causing it to be
  a> interpreted as separate targets. Using the typical solution of
  a> putting quotes around the path doesn't seem to work within the
  a> makefile. Does anyone know of a way to specify that spaces should
  a> be treated as part of the path name? Here is the offending line in
  a> the makefile: ${ObjD}%.N.cln : %.asm ${ExtraDeps}; ${GenAsmRule}

In general there's really no completely bullet-proof way to use
pathnames with whitespace in them.  Your best bet is to avoid them
altogether.

However, in some situations you can escape whitespace with a backslash.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@gnu.org>          Find some GNU make tips at: