help-gnustep

Re: Distributing Renaissance/GNUstep app's on OS X

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Distributing Renaissance/GNUstep app's on OS X
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 15:58:54 +0000 (GMT)

> >>( I am using the Ink.app example, so the binary file is Ink.app/Ink
> >

> >  That sounds screwy. The binary should be at Ink.app/Contents/MacOS/Ink.
>
> When built by make, that was where it put the binary...  It did NOT put
> it in Contents/MacOS/Ink, with an alias at Ink.app/Ink...  Perhaps a
> difference between make, and using Xcode??
>
> Other projects built with Xcode DO place the binary inside
> Contents/MacOS....
>
> Go figure...

I think this was gnustep-make's fault :-)

It was still installing binaries in the old location (OpenStep location ?
anyway an old one, Apple is now installing in the a different location,
even if keeping backwards compatibility with the old install locations).

I've now updated gnustep-make on CVS to install (on Apple) the binary in
Ink.app/Contents/MacOS/Ink, so on Apple everything should be done in the
same way as the new Apple build tools do it, which should make everything
simpler.

I hope that means you can now follow the default Apple instructions for
embedding a framework into an application ... (please confirm those now
work if you can!)

> In any event, I got it working, and will just have to keep in mind that
> the binary is located differently when built by make as compared to
> XCode.  It seems as though the XCode method is correct, which will
> require making the changes as displayed on the web site, NOT my
> corrected version.
>
> Alternatively, instead of making my changes, you could put the binary in
> Contents/MacOS and put an symlink as a placeholder inside the bundle...
>
> Is this a known issue with simply building via GNUmakefile and make??

Sorry for that - yes - it was a known issue but due to lack of hacking
time I couldn't find the time to fix it - now I have fixed it on CVS, so
please have a look again, it should be simpler now. :-)

Thanks for reporting your findings!