help-gnustep

Re: Lacking icons etc: GNUstep/Solaris

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Lacking icons etc: GNUstep/Solaris
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:30:59 -0600

On Aug 24, 2004, at 12:49 PM, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Graham J Lee wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to set up GNUstep on Solaris 7[*] on an Ultra 5. All of core has installed properly (or at least without error), gdomap is launched at boot time and gdnc/gpbs are launched from my BASH .profile after sourcing GNUstep.sh. I've opted for the xlib backend; I tried using art but when I openapp'ed applications they failed with "No fonts found!"

You seem to be missing the nfont package for the art backend. Sorry I cannot find the link to this at the moment.

With the xlib backend, programs launch but none of the icons, arrows, button graphics etc. are displayed. The programs log messages of the following type:
--8<--
2004-08-24 14:11:30.000 EasyDiff[12270] NSImage: compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation: failed due to NSInternalInconsistencyException: Cannot find stored representation
--8<--

This problem should be independent of the backend you use, as it seems to happen in the functionrepd_for_rep() in the gui file NSImage.m. And I don't have the slightest glue, why this may be failing for you. You may want to add some debug code in that functions and report the result of that.

It's possible there was an error reading in the images. That seems the most reasonable cause. On Solaris there is a libtiff in /usr/openwin/lib which may get mixed up with the libtiff you installed. Make sure /usr/openwin/lib is after the location of your libtiff in LD_LIBRARY_PATH