help-gnustep

Re: can't build gnustep-base on cygwin

From: Paul Forgey
Subject: Re: can't build gnustep-base on cygwin
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 02:55:53 -0700

I tried updating my cygwin installation after reading your reply, which updated automake and libtool-devel. I rebuilt from scratch again after the update.

I haven't made any progress at all. I'm telling the configure scripts to put the libraries and headers into /GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries and /GNUstep/System/Library/Headers (with executables and dlls into /GNUstep/System/Tools). With this setup, the configure script is able to detect libxml2 and xslt just fine. I built libxslt-1.1.11 and libxml2-2.6.14. Oh, libxml2 wants to put the dll in --/Libraries/bin. Proably a quick hack for windows which works with the prefix is /usr or /usr/local. Moved the dll into Tools and adjusted libxml2.la appropriately.

setting LDFLAGS=/usr/local/lib isn't a valid linker option. Exactly what are you setting that to? -L/usr/local/lib? I tried re-doing all this using LDFLAGS=-L/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries (and remembered to export it) but I ended up with the exact same results. Also note that, as per my followup post, I appear to be having this same issue from gnustep-base when building gnustep-gui if I use --disable-xml to postpone this and build gnustep-base. So I'm not certain this problem is specific to libxml2/libslt or how those particular libraries are being built.

It seems to me the problem is how cygwin or the GNUstep configure/build process, or both is/are mishandling the screwed up shared library architecture windows has (m$ never did get their head out of dos).

I can send you my config.status files if it would be any help.