libstdc++.so.5 vs. libstdc++.so.6 and external libraries

From: angels__tear
Subject: libstdc++.so.5 vs. libstdc++.so.6 and external libraries
Date: 15 Jul 2004 15:57:41 -0700

Hi -
I'm creating an application for a communications network that
needs to be portable between at least Mandrake Linux 10 and Solaris 9
(obviously, the more portable, the better). I realized shortly into the
development process that I was using gcc 3.3.2 on the linux machine,
and gcc 3.4.0 on my solaris machines. I upgraded gcc to 3.4 on the
linux machine, but now am having issues involving libstdc++.so.5 and
libstdc++.so.6

The first issue is that an external library (SocketW -
http://www.digitalfanatics.org/cal/socketw/ ) that I am using seems to
depend on libstdc++.so.5 specific features, and will not compile using
libstdc++.so.6. If I leave both shared objects linked to, then gcc
issues a warning everytime I make the application (this isn't too bad,
I can deal with warnings, if they don't actually cause an issue)

The second problem may or may not be related. I wrote the entire
program on the linux machine, compiled and ran it just fine. One of the
classes in the program uses the stl queue class. Again, this worked
fine on linux, but when I tried to compile on the solaris machines, I
get this error (it actually occurs twice, once for each queue I'm
declaring):

error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `queue' with no type
error: expected `;' before '<' token

Any help would be greatly appriciated - I can, of course, put up more
information if it would be helpful in solving these issues.
Chris Phillips