Re: libstdc++.so.5 vs. libstdc++.so.6 and external libraries

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: libstdc++.so.5 vs. libstdc++.so.6 and external libraries
Date: 15 Jul 2004 22:49:10 -0700

angels__tear@hotmail.com writes:

> I'm creating an application for a communications network that
> needs to be portable between at least Mandrake Linux 10 and Solaris 9
> (obviously, the more portable, the better). I realized shortly into the
> development process that I was using gcc 3.3.2 on the linux machine,
> and gcc 3.4.0 on my solaris machines. I upgraded gcc to 3.4 on the

While having the same version of the compiler helps you, it is by
no means required for source-code portability. It is fairly easy to
write code that will compile with all versions of g++ from 2.95.x
through 3.4.x

> linux machine, but now am having issues involving libstdc++.so.5 and
> libstdc++.so.6

You should not link together code compiled with g++-3.3.x and 3.4.x
Such code is not link-compatible.

Since the "external" library is open-source, you can simply rebuild
it with the same version you are using for everything else. [If it
were available only as a binary, you'd have to compile your code
with the same compiler it was compiled with.]

> error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `queue' with no type
> error: expected `;' before '<' token

You are probably missing 'std::' prefix or 'using namespace std;'
[It is somewhat surprizing that you get this error only on Solaris.]

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.