Re: libstdc++ linking problem

From: Ulrich Eckhardt
Subject: Re: libstdc++ linking problem
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:11:06 +0100

michele wrote:
> I am compiling a simple application of a package, (vrjuggler, a virtual
> reality suite). My configuration is a Mandrake 10.1 with gcc 3.4.1
>
> When i link the .o files (i am not epert programmer, i just use make)
> there is a warning message:
> the libstdc++.so.5 may conflict with libstdc++.so.6 one.

This suggests that parts of your program were compiled with GCC 3.3. Those
parts can also be (external) libraries, not necessarily parts of
vrjuggler.

> How can i "say" to the compiler to use the libstdc++.so.5 library? I
> found it in my /usr/lib path, bath i am not able to link.

Assuming a non-broken makefile, you could do this:
  CXX=g++-3.3 make clean all
to use version GCC 3.3 instead, assuming you have it installed under the
given name.

 Else, you could run ldd on the resulting binary to find out what libs it
links to and then find out which of them uses so.5, installing versions of
those libs compiled with 3.4. Take care though: other programs/libs might
not like it - if you find yourself at a point where you think you need
root privileges, stop and think before going on.

> this is the content of the makefile:
[snip]

Looks good, but uses quite a few things I now pretty little about.

Uli

--
http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html
http://parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/