Re: Can GCC guess where to find template definitions?

From: Llewelly
Subject: Re: Can GCC guess where to find template definitions?
Date: 09 May 2005 17:52:28 -0600

Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov-nsp@charter.net> writes:

> comeau@panix.com (Greg Comeau) writes:
>
> > Paul Pluzhnikov  <ppluzhnikov-nsp@charter.net> wrote:

> >>The only people who actually implemented 'export' templates
> >>(in the EDG frontend) disagree with you
> >
> > You're wrong, that document does not say they disagree with James.
>
> It doesn't? The article says:
>
>   All (Steve, John, Daveed) [when asked by other implementers for
>   advice about how best to implement export]: "Don't."
>
> I don't read this as "there is no excuse for any vendor not to have
> implemented exported templates long time ago", but perhaps my
> command of the English language is lacking :-(
[snip]

You should have checked the minutes for the voting on that paper:

Alternative    Straw Votes

Remove export      8

Leave in export    28

Discuss more       7

No more discussion 30

(see http://xrl.us/b7v2)

In particular note the 'Leave in export' and 'No more discussion'
    votes.

There is a long thread about this somewhere in the comp.std.c++
    archives.

In any case it may be that gcc will someday provide export; see:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-01/msg02286.html