Re: Can GCC guess where to find template definitions?

From: James Kanze
Subject: Re: Can GCC guess where to find template definitions?
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 23:11:37 +0200

Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
> James Kanze <kanze@none> writes:

>>Export works, when implemented correctly. ... and it provides
>>significantly better decoupling.  It's part of the standard,
>>and given that the standard has been around for 7 years now,
>>there's really no excuse for any vendor not to have
>>implemented it.

> The only people who actually implemented 'export' templates
> (in the EDG frontend) disagree with you, and in fact argue for
> *removal* of that feature from the standard:

> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2003/n1426.pdf

That paper is NOT by the people who actually implemented export,
and the people who actually implemented export (David
Vandevoorde, in particular), disagrees with the paper,
considered himself misquoted in it, and basically agrees with my
evaluation of it.  I also base my statements on experience by
people who have actually used it.  It works.  It does reduce
compile times, at least in the certain cases, and it definitly
improves decoupling.

--
James Kanze                                 mailto: james.kanze@free.fr
9 pl. Pierre Sémard, 78210 St.-Cyr-l'École, France +33 (0)1 30 23 00 34