Re: statically linking pthreads

From: VASILI3000
Subject: Re: statically linking pthreads
Date: 24 May 2006 02:23:49 -0700

Paul Pluzhnikov ha scritto:
> > i tried various combnations of "/usr/lib/libpthread.a" or "-pthread"
> > into the compile/link line, but with no luck.
>
> This should have worked. What were the errors?

the errors are the same i got not specifying the compiler flag
-pthread: lots of undefitned references to the pthread library
functions. maybe my build system is not sane...

> > furthermore, dynamically linking the code has positive results.
>
> Dynamic linking is what you *should* do, but static linking with
>
>  $ g++ -static threads_static.c -o threads_static -pthread
>
> should have also worked (as in "produced correctly working but
> extremely non-portable executable").
the executable is meant for an embedded system, but as you can see i am
still in the first step:"can i produce a generic statically linked
executable on my machine?"

> > i am starting to suspect that i have a big problem with
> > glibc/pthreads/stdlibc++ configuration...
>
> I just tried 'g++ -static -pthread ...' on MDK-10, and came back with:
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lstdc++
>
> If that's what you got, you need to install archive version of
> libstdc++ (this has nothing to do with pthreads -- you wouldn't
> be able to link any C++ program with -static if you don't have
> libstdc++.a).
i overcame all these problems. in fact, i had no static c++ library,
nor glibc and pthreads