Re: Wanted: Examples using SIMD instructions for 32bit cygwin and 64 Lin

From: Alberto Luaces
Subject: Re: Wanted: Examples using SIMD instructions for 32bit cygwin and 64 Linux
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:49:10 +0200

Siegfried wrote:

> I would like to try out some examples of the SIMD (vector) instructions
> in g++. Can this be done in g++ 32bit/cygwin? Can this be done in g++
> 64 bit fedora core 4?
>
> Are the terms SIMD, mmx and sse2 all synonymous in the context of
> intell processors?
>
> I found a nice description at
> http://x86.ddj.com/articles/sse_pt2/simd2.htm but it did not mention
> support in g++. I hope this document is old or incomplete!
>
> After failing to find some good examples with google searches, I hoping
> someone can point me to some 32 bit and 64bit g++ code examples I can
> try out.
>
> Thanks,
> Siegfried

I think this is a good start:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.1/gcc/X86-Built_002din-Functions.html#X86-Built_002din-Functions

it describes gcc's builtin functions equivalent to SSE's assembler
instructions.

Both MMX and SSE2 are SIMD (Single Instruction Multiple Data), but MMX works
on integers and SSE2 on floating point data.

HTH,

Alberto