Re: Exceptions across shared libraries (gcc 3.3.3)

From: Bernd Strieder
Subject: Re: Exceptions across shared libraries (gcc 3.3.3)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:18:38 +0200

Hello,

gilles.rayrat@gmail.com wrote:

> I am facing a weird issue:
> We are using a shared library (libcarob) that can throw exceptions.

That already tells the whole story.

See

http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html#dso

> Everything goes well under most platforms, but under suse (SLES 9, gcc
> 3.3.3), we get a segfault anytime we try to throw an exception out of
> carob.

Are the other platforms older or newer than SLES9?

> The weird thing is that when linking statically carob to the
> libstdc++,

So it is a linker problem, indeed.

> the problem disappears. Google showed nothing convincing, so I try
> other
> channels...
> If anyone has a clue for it, g++ flags or whatever, I am ready to try
> the hell to fix this

This is a FAQ. Look for keywords DSO, shared, dynamic, RTTI, exceptions
and you will find at least one question per week in this group, and
more in others.

Bernd Strieder