Re: How does one use curses.h? I may have system problems with it.

From: Lionel B
Subject: Re: How does one use curses.h? I may have system problems with it.
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 08:50:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 18 May 2008 23:56:11 -0700, David Chmelik wrote:

> I have some problems with curses.h or ncurses.h.
>
> When I make a program including either and use its functions and compile
> with g++ I get these sort of errors:
>
> tir.cxx:(.text+0x179e): undefined reference to `wmove',
> tir.cxx:(.text+0x17af): undefined reference to `stdscr' (I did not use
> stdscr but suppose another statement does,) tir.cxx:(.text+0x17b4):
> undefined reference to `waddch', tir.cxx:(.text+0x17c5): undefined
> reference to `move'.
>
> When gcc says an error with some hex number in parentheses like that it
> is usally a library or system problem.

Yes; these error messages are not from the compile, but from the link
phase, and probably mean that you have not linked in the library
containing the actual code for the functions referenced. So to link code
for ncurses, you will probably have to specify -lncurses somewhere on
your gcc invocation (this is documented in `man ncurses').

--
Lionel B