help-grub

Re: How to boot a 32-bit Ubuntu on a 64-bit EFI machine?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: How to boot a 32-bit Ubuntu on a 64-bit EFI machine?
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 21:52:37 +0300

On 12.09.2021 15:38, Ulf Zibis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> few years ago, I was able to boot my 32-bit Ubuntu on a 64-bit EFI
> machine with a 64 bit EFI GRUB. This worked fine for Ubuntu 16.04 and
> 18.04 over long time.
>
> But since latest updates

updates of what?

> I get:
> "Kernel does not support 64 bit cpu"

Is it exact error message? When is it printed? Is it output by grub or
kernel? I do not see this error in grub.

> So my queston is, if there has something been changed in recent versions
> of GRUB which prevents from booting 32-bit Linux on 64-bit EFI machines.

I briefly tried booting 32 bit openSUSE Tumbleweed kernel from within 64
bit EFI grub 2.06 in QEMU and I did not observe any errors from grub.
After issuing "boot" command I do not see any kernel messages but I
cannot say if this is due to qemu or kernel or something else.