help-gsasl

gsasl hangs without showing why

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: gsasl hangs without showing why
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 11:29:09 -0400

While trying to get Gnus to authenticate via kerberos to my imap server,
I came across the following situation:

   gsasl --verbose --imap --connect=imap.iro.umontreal.ca:imaps

just tells me "Trying `mercure.iro.umontreal.ca'..." and then sits there.
Now, I do not understand why it should just sit there, since
"telnet imap.iro.umontreal.ca imaps" shows that the remote host is
quite responsive.  Also "gnutls-cli -p imaps imap.iro.umontreal.ca"
immediately gives me good output showing that the connection
was established.

So it seems that gsasl should be able to give me more output than
"Trying `mercure.iro.umontreal.ca'...".  E.g. it could tell me when
the TCP connection is established (and indeed netstat seems to confirm
that gsasl successfully opened the connection) as well as tell me
when/if it's trying the TLS dance, and if that dance was successful, ...

Of course, I'd also like it to succeed, but at the very least
the --verbose should help me figure out which part is failing.

        Stefan