Re: [Help-gsl] Java GNU Scientific Library first release

From: David Lindelof
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Java GNU Scientific Library first release
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:11:56 +0200

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 10:16 -0700, Simpson, Kenneth wrote:
> I broke down and install swig and hacked the paths
> for my GSL installation in Makefile and the Python script.
>
> I need the Java source for my IDE.

I have uploaded a file jgsl-0.1.1-src.tar.gz (on
http://sf.net/projects/jgsl/), whose contents are identical to
jgsl-0.1.0.tar.gz except it also includes the machine-generated *.java
files. They are in the src/main/java/ch/visnet/jgsl/sf/ directory.

It also includes the generated *.i Swig interface files, which are all
produced in the root of the project. The final jarfile is under
target/jgsl-0.1.1.jar.

> I just ran TestLog.java and here's the output
>
>      JGSL Log computed 2000000 logarithms in 626 ms.
>      Built-in Log computed 2000000 logarithms in 318 ms.
>
> Java's built in log function appears to be twice as fast as GSL's log
> function (on a dual core laptop using Java 6 under Linux.)

Very interesting. I did my tests under an Intel Pentium 4, 3 GHz, with
Java 1.4.2 under Linux.

I wonder if the following line in the Makefile is actually correct:

gcc -shared *.o -lgsl -lgslcblas -o libjgsl.so

Maybe it should just say

gcc -shared *.o -o libjgsl.so

In this way, the system will use the libgsl.so that it finds on the
system instead of using the code in the jarfile. But on the other hand,
I also want the jarfile to be as self-contained as possible.

If you send me the libgsl.so and libgslcblas.so files from your system I
can build a jarfile that might be better tailored for your system. Let
me know if you want to try this out.

Kind regards,

David Lindelöf
Visnet
Chemin de l'Ancienne-Ecole 37
1288 Genève
tel +41-79-415.6641
fax +41-22-757.7250
e-mail address@hidden
weblog http://www.visnet.ch/smartbuildings/

Your job is being a professor and researcher: That's one hell of a good excuse
for some of the brain-damages of minix.
(Linus Torvalds to Andrew Tanenbaum)