Re: Store on NFS (was Re: ~/.config/guix/current)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Store on NFS (was Re: ~/.config/guix/current)
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 09:49:33 +0200

Mikhail Kryshen <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Oh right, I thought you were referring to the configuration of the
>> master node.
>
> Concerning the master node, is there a way to specify NFS exports in
> GuixSD OS configuration?

You’d have to extend ‘etc-service-type’ to provide a /etc/exports file,
along these lines:

  (simple-service 'etc-exports etc-service-type
                  `(("exports" ,(plain-file "exports" "…"))))

>> The compute nodes would need to be able to mount /gnu/store early at
>> boot over NFS, and I think that’s doesn’t work right now on GuixSD.
>> I’m not sure exactly what’s missing.
>
> I see in grub.cfg, that the kernel and initrd are loaded from the store,
> so it must be available to the bootloader.  Would it be possible to
> combine local and remote stores after boot with overlayfs and ensure
> that all necessary items are written to the local store at "system
> reconfigure" (maybe have a local guix daemon manage the local store for
> "system reconfigure")?

Yes, that sounds like a reasonable option.

You can probably add to the ‘file-systems’ field a declaration of the
overlayfs and mark it with (needed-for-boot? #f).  We need to experiment
with this!

HTH,
Ludo’.