Re: Other web-browser for tor

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Other web-browser for tor
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 03:45:08 -0400

znavko <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello! I am using GNU IceCat, that has Network Settings for using
> proxy. I can use tor with it. I was using Abrowaser on trisquel, but
> GuixSD repository has no such:
>
> $ guix package -s abrowser
> $
>
> I've found other browsers with `guix package -s 'web browser'` but all
> of that I've installed has no Network configurations . Epiphany,
> Dillo, Conkeror can't.  Netsurf browser has network settings, but
> there is only http proxy, and I get this when type proxy:
> 127.0.0.1:9050 : "This is a SOCKs proxy, not an HTTP proxy."
>
> Which other free software browser can work on socks4 proxy? On
> trisquel I had Abrowser, but here it is only Icecat.

Epiphany can be configured to use a SOCKs proxy via the "Network"
section of GNOME settings.

Conkeror can be configured to use a SOCKs proxy.  See
<http://conkeror.org/Proxy>.

For software that does not support SOCKs proxies, you can use 'privoxy'
as a gateway.  'privoxy' presents itself as an HTTP/HTTPS proxy, and it
can be configured to use a SOCKs proxy.  See
<https://www.privoxy.org/faq/misc.html#TOR>.

Dillo can be configured to use an HTTP/HTTPS proxy in its
~/.dillo/dillorc.

Wget and some other command-line utilities will honor the http_proxy and
https_proxy environment variables.  Alternatively, you can configure
wget to use a proxy via ~/.wgetrc.

I do not know off-hand whether these programs leak information in
practice (e.g. by making untorified DNS requests) when configured in
this way.

      Mark