Re: Building and installing packages with modifications

From: ison
Subject: Re: Building and installing packages with modifications
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 16:17:45 -0700

So basically you're saying curl is a dependency of other packages and it's
failing to build due to the tests? That makes it more complicated. You could
always try renaming it to "curl.scm" and testing it, but I'm failry certain it
won't work.

Again, I'm really not sure if my way is the best way. I'm still learning a lot
myself and making new packages that inherit existing packages is just a neat
trick I've used myself and thought it could help you. So the best answer I could
give to your predicament is to just keep using the same trick. Find out what
package is pulling in "curl" as a dependency and then define a new package for
that one (using the same trick) and override its "curl" input with "my-curl"

Although it seems like this can get very ugly very quickly, so I'm also curious
now if anyone else knows a better way to handle this. It's almost as if you need
to make "curl" a global (and then modify it) so that all packages will use your
modified curl instead of the one they pull in from use-modules.
I'm not sure.